Date(s) - Sep 13, 2016 - Oct 18, 2016
9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Parker-Astin Art Center
Introduction to Oil Painting
Sept. 13-Oct. 18
9:00 am- 12:00 pm or
Sept 15-Oct 20
6:30 pm-9:00 pm
Oil painting can seem like a daunting skill to master. However, oil painting is one of the most malleable and forgiving painting techniques. This six week oil painting class will introduce you to the basics of oil painting. You will learn how to prep canvases, mix paints, and of course, paint with oils! We will paint from still life compositions. You are welcome to bring in any objects you’d like to paint to class.
Basic oil painting supplies are required and not included in the class price – see below for a list of supplies
• Four blank canvases or panels
• Palette or pad of disposable palette sheets
• Refined turpentine
• Refined linseed oil, Liquin or prepared oil painting medium
• Large jar for hold turpentine
• Small jar to hold painting medium
• Metal palette knife
• Natural bristle brushes in a variety of sizes and shapes
• Paper towels or soft, lint-free rags
• Paints (these are the basics, you are welcome to bring more colors if you would like): Titanium white, Burnt sienna, Raw umber, Cadmium yellow (medium), Cadmium red (medium), Alizarin crimson, (French) ultramarine blue, Cerulean blue, Ivory black
About the Instructor
Jane Sherman has always been an artist at heart. When she found oil painting eight years ago, she discovered that magical place where the world disappears and time stands still. She studied painting, drawing and printmaking at Fleisher Art Memorial in Philadelphia and apprenticed under the renowned Philadelphia artist James Dupree. Currently, she has started painting plein air, and you might spot her around town with her easel set up, painting, and oblivious to the world around her.
Registrations are closed for this event.